Las Cruces Dental Implants
If you’re looking for a permanent solution to tooth loss and don’t want to both with a removable prosthetic like dentures, dental implants might be the perfect option for you. These metal posts are surgically implanted into your mouth and topped with a permanent crown. This gives your mouth a natural, attractive appearance.
How do dental implants work?
Dental implants take away the frustrations of dentures because they don’t slip or fall out and are implanted through a series of several visits over a period of up to six months. While it might sound like the time isn’t worth it, the reason why implants take so long is because of the healing required to allow your bone to heal.
The process for receiving dental implants are as follows:
- You’ll come into the office for a complete, thorough exam.
- You’ll get x-rays taken and have impressions of your mouth taken as well.
- Depending on your case, the doctor may also use the Cone Bean i-CAT. This specialized machine takes a 3D image of your mouth so the doctor can see what is happening below the service.
- Once you’re cleared for surgery you’ll come in and have the metal rods inserted and any bone grafted if necessary.
- After your mouth has an opportunity to heal, you’ll come back into the office to have permanent crowns affixed to the top of the rod. These crowns are incredibly durable and function just like your natural teeth.
What are dental implants like?
Dental implants function exactly like your natural teeth. You never have to worry about taking special care of them or finding some special solution to soak them in. If you’ve spent several years without teeth you’ll come out of the implant procedure feeling like a new, more confident person.
How do I care for implants?
Caring for dental implants is simple. You brush twice a day, floss daily, and go for cleanings every six months. Should you decide to get implants, it is important to follow a healthy diet that is limited in sugar so that surrounding teeth, bone, and gums don’t decay.
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
The ideal candidate for dental implants will be healthy and have any pre-existing issues like periodontal disease, addressed before surgery. The only way to find out if you’re a candidate is to schedule an appointment with Dr. Borham.
Contact our team at Mesilla Valley Family Dental to learn more about how these permanent prosthetics could help you recover from tooth loss and live a happier, healthier life.